Dental crowns are a common dental restoration. Dr. Costabile or his associates may recommend placement of a dental crown if you have a deep crack in your tooth that is causing you pain due to heightened sensitivity. Some of the other common reasons that patients of our Buffalo, Minnesota dental practice might require a crown include:
- To restore a tooth that is worn down or structurally weak
- To enable your dentist to secure a dental bridge in place
- When you choose it as a cosmetic procedure to disguise a misshapen, discolored, or chipped tooth
- As covering for a dental implant
While a dental crown is an effective treatment, the one downside is that you typically need to visit a dental practice two or three times to complete the procedure. You may be dealing with tooth sensitivity in the meantime, an uncomfortable temporary, or feel self-conscious about a broken tooth or cosmetic imperfection. We understand this, which is why we now offer same day dental crowns for most patients, made while you wait!
1. They Save You Time: One visit to the dentist’s chair instead of two or three and no waiting for weeks before your crowns are milled means you don’t lose your off-work days to deal with dental problems.
2. No Temporaries Are Needed: Unlike traditional crowns, same day crowns do not require you wear uncomfortable, plastic temporary crowns for up to three weeks while waiting. Temporary crowns often become stained and can make your teeth very sensitive.
3. No Dental Putty Is Involved: Digitally mapping your tooth means that no impression must be made in messy trays or dental putty. Such putty is often ill-tasting, and it is a welcome advance to no longer have to resort to its use.
4. You Get An Exact Fit: Digital scanning and milling are so precise that you can rest assured your crown will fit snugly and align properly with your other teeth. Your bite pattern is taken into account, and every minute detail of your tooth’s contours are incorporated.
5. Same Day Crowns Look Better: Traditional crowns tend to leave you with unsightly black lines running along your gum line—same day crowns will not. CEREC same day crowns come in 17 distinct shades meant to precisely mimic your natural tooth color, and your dentist will help you select the best match.
6. Same Day Crowns Use High-Quality Ceramic: Ceramic keeps the metal out of your mouth, is less bulky than porcelain, and contains no materials that would irritate your teeth or gums. It looks natural, feels natural, and has many of the same properties as tooth enamel. Ceramic is also very durable, less prone to cracking, and it will expand/contract with hot/cold temperatures, allowing you to eat many of your favorite foods.
7. Receive Your Dental Crown in a Single Appointment