Dental cone beam computed tomography (CT) is a special type of x-ray equipment used when regular dental or facial x-rays are not sufficient. Your doctor may use this technology to produce three dimensional (3-D) images of your teeth, soft tissues, nerve pathways and bone in a single scan.
Dental cone beam CT is commonly used for treatment planning of orthodontic issues. It is also useful for more complex cases that involve:
- Surgical planning for impacted teeth.
- Diagnosing temporomandibular joint disorder (TMJ).
- Accurate placement of dental implants.
- Evaluation of the jaw, sinuses, nerve canals and nasal cavity.
- Detecting, measuring and treating jaw tumors.
- Determining bone structure and tooth orientation.
- Locating the origin of pain or pathology.
- Reconstructive surgery.